This is me, suffering while cycling up Buttertubs, in Yorkshire!

This is me, suffering while cycling up Buttertubs, in Yorkshire!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The search for the perfect turbo trainer tune!

Normally I have a set playlist that I listen to when I'm on the turbo. It's an hour long, comprises a mixture of genres, ranging from electronic dance music, to hip-hop, to heavy metal. This morning however, while I was warming up for the first 5 minutes on the turbo, I decided I'd change my playlist.

While I was choosing which tunes would be the most motivational to get me going, I found what I think is the perfect turbo tune. Now the majority of you reading this probably won't be that familiar with the work of Norwegian electronic jazz trumpet legend Nils Petter Molvaer, but please, bear with me!

Nils is somewhat of a pioneer in his genre, that of mixing improvised jazz trumpet, with electronic effects, metal guitars, loops, samples etc. One of his early albums, Hamada, includes a mental tune called 'cruel attitude'. This, is the perfect turbo tune.

After 3 or 4 minutes into the 8 and a half minute tune, the tempo and intensity starts to increase, and by the half way mark the band are in full flow, which nicely translates into a tune that well and truly puts the hammer down and kicks you up a gear on the bike. I used it after about 20 minutes into a 40 minute turbo session this morning, and it was just about timed perfectly. 

I found that the first few minutes were used to get me even more in the zone that I already was, and I gradually got faster and moved up into bigger and bigger gears the more the tune went on. By the time it finished I was flat out at a cadence of about 120, totally in the zone, with my legs screaming out in pain and with sweat dripping off me like a pig on a spit roast! Awesome feeling, awesome tune, give it a go. Tell me I'm wrong?!

......this is what the tune made me look like when it finished....!!


No comments:

Post a Comment